Meeting

Peter Bouda pbouda at cidles.eu
Tue Feb 18 10:11:50 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

thanks for the minutes, and sorry that I couldn’t participate in the meeting. I simply forgot, as I was working on some other things. Next time…

One thing came to my mind, about the alignment. Another use case for that would be language documentation. Normally a researcher will do audio/video recording and then transcribe the data with a software like Elan (http://www.lat-mpi.eu/tools/elan/). The alignment is done manually in this case. Most researchers work together with a native speaker and/or students in this case, those user need to be trained in Elan, which costs a lot of time. So there are cases where MS Word or something similar is used for transcription. It would be a *big* help if researchers and their team members could just use any editor to write down the transcriptions and then align them later (reliably). Most languages are very different from English, so I think the systems needs to support alternative phoneme inventories in this case. Btw, what kind of data does the aligner need for this? Just phoneme inventories or full phonetic dictionaries?

Just a thought. I could maybe get some data (word+audio in several languages) and test users for such a system.

Best,
Peter