[KDE-Sonnet] Spell server

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Mon Jan 29 20:29:46 CET 2007

Hi!

On Monday 29 January 2007 10:52, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a heads up to say that I've written a spell checking server in
> Python.  Its based on:
>
> * What I've written in the past (an internal spell server used mostly
> for testing Windows spell checkers)
> * NoxSpell ideas for the server component and use of Google Toolbar
> spell API.  We still use the Nox AJAX side component.
> * Various sites expounding on the Google spell API.

This is an excellent idea. In case you did not know, we are also using server
based solutions to develop the vocabulary for Finnish spell checker
Voikko. We have an open form [1] for entering suggestions for new words to be
added to the vocabulary, and the words will (after a review) be entered to
the central vocabulary database [2]. From there, it is possible to fetch
updated word lists by a web browser or a special Qt based client application.
The client also allows you to select special word lists (such as computing or
medical vocabulary) which are not included in the default vocabulary.
We also have a web based demonstration for the spell checker [3] but it would
be nice to be able to immediately take advantage of the updates in the
database while using ordinary text editors without downloading the word
lists. An enchant client for spelling servers would definitely help there.

In case it might be useful for someone, all of the tools and data mentioned
above are available under the GPL. Most of the tools are written in Python,
sources for the vocabulary database application are located at
http://voikko.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/voikko/trunk/joukahainen/

Harri

[1] http://www.hunspell-fi.org/webapp/index.php
[2] http://joukahainen.lokalisointi.org/