[KDE-Sonnet] Spell server

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at translate.org.za
Mon Feb 5 07:06:34 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 02:59 -0700, Jacob Rideout wrote:
> > What I dream of doing:
> > * Add the server as an Enchant provider so you could install enchant and
> > never have to configure any spell checker ever again as long as theirs a
> > server.  Plus even if you don't have the language on the server it would
> > go out and use another server to do the checking.
> > * Have servers able to upgrade to newer spell checkers magically.  And
> > also add dictionaries that are requested relatively frequently.
> > * Make a CSAPI spell checker that can use the server (And hell will
> > freeze over :)
>
> This sounds really interesting. I like the idea about submitting user
> PWLs to a central database, this would allow us to create lexicons of
> a language in real time as it evolves. This both useful to end users
> and would be quite fascinating to researchers.

There might be some confusion on this.  Currently all I have is a PWL
(lets called it a Server WL) ie a global one for all users.  So you
could add corporate words.  The idea of maintaining PWL for anyone who
checks is great and I agree would really help with building words.

Many of these ideas are driven by the idea that we'd like users to be
able to improve our spell checkers.  The only way you can really do that
is if people help check the words and what better way then if its for
your own benefit.

> Has any of this been released yet? If so, where can the code be found?

svn co
https://translate.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/translate/src/trunk/spelling spelling

I've just checked this in for broader consumption:

TODO:
- OLE spell checker
- Make it more robust

Unfortunately I hacked it a bit when I discovered some new feature
(suggestedlang=AA') in Google XML.  That needs a bit of cleanup.

You can work directly against Google if you like using the spelling
client.  To run the server you will need enchant installed with some
valid checkers on your side.

Hope you have fun.

--
Dwayne Bailey