[kde-solaris] how to install KDE on solaris 10

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Oct 9 01:53:50 CEST 2008

Hi Abder,

Let's assume you are interested in KDE4. For KDE3, there are packages on
Blastwave.

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 17:22:25 abder bouabsa wrote:
> i find somme problems to  install kde on solaris 10 , can someone help me.

If you have S10U5 it ought to be possible. There are various possibilities.
Older - S10U4 - Solaris I'm not sure about. Newer, OpenSolaris or Nevada
versions are ok until nv97; from then on there are new and exciting problems
because the base is not so stable.

> is it   necessary to have  a  gcc  compiler and sun studio because by
> default it'is  not comming with solaris 10.

One compiler is enough. Either gcc -- for the stuff blastwave does -- or Sun
Studio 12. In either case you want a recent compiler with all the released
patches. Especially for SS12, which has some recent patches that are important
for the KDE codebase.

You can find instructions -- but they become outdated fairly quickly -- via
http://solaris.kde.org or http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE4_on_Solaris .
If you are willing to wait a little bit -- but get started on compiling things
anyway -- then one fairly quick way to get started right now is:

- install Mercurial
- install CBE 1.7.0 beta 1
- hg clone http://solaris.bionicmutton.org/hg/kde4-specs-dev
- cd kde4-specs-dev ; . /opt/dtbld/bin/env.sh ; make

[ade]