[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] Gentle Question

Shawn Walker swalker at opensolaris.org
Mon May 12 22:49:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Mats Rojestal
<mats.rojestal at bredband.net> wrote:
>  I can't figure out what the advantage of using sun compilers is,
>  maybe a death wish. My simple observations from gcc 4.x.x performance is
>  that it's not inferior to other compilers.
>  Solaris is not a major player in the OS market and making it harder to
>  port software to Solaris isn't really a good idea.

It's simple. The GNU C++ complier produces binaries that are not ABI
compatible with Sun Studio compilers.

In addition, it produces code that is up to 50% slower on SPARC, and
often slower on x86.

--
Shawn Walker

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben