[kde-solaris] Gentle Question

Michael Schuster Michael.Schuster at Sun.COM
Mon May 5 17:43:22 CEST 2008

Kunal Deo wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> Thanks for your quick response. I understand the reason to support  Sun
> Studio.  But KDE offcially supports GCC 4.x series. Thats why I've
> decided to use gcc. Moreover toolchain has been ported as well. I've
> ported almost everything and its running fine. KDE4 is in progress.
>
> I did run into few problems but I've fixed that (including compilation
> of strigi)
>
> 1. GCC 4.3 error where it doesnt compile functions like strcpy()
> memset(), but works when you add "include <cstring>"
> 2. Linking problems when you use POSIX calls which are not system calls
> in solaris but are general library, classic example is
>
>   sched_setscheduler() which can be fixed by using -lrt and so on.
>
> So far the performance has been very good. And runs quite comfortability.
>
> Let me know your thoughts.

good to know it worked. It might be interesting for others if you could
publish in detail (maybe on a blog ... ) what you had to do to get this
going.

If your whole intention in this project was to get KDE4 running on
Solaris, congratulations.

I do wonder though what you're trying to achieve in the long run (if you
do at all) ... or are you satisfied with a one-off success?
- Will you (or a team following your lead) be prepared to maintain
whatever set of tools/sources/receipes is necessary so you can keep up
with KDE4 on Solaris changes with gcc?
- Will you go to the (probably not insignificant) effort to modify the
build infrastructure to build with both Sun Studio and gcc?
- Might it not be more worthwhile in the long run to invest your time
and apparent skill into helping out with the ongoing effort of building
KDE4 on Solaris with Sun Studio?

regards
Michael

--