[kde-solaris] Linkage errors in kdebase with xrender

Stefan Teleman stefan.teleman at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:53:33 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Sebastian Kuegler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 15:46:43 Allen Winter wrote:
>  > On Friday 25 April 2008 17:19:34 Shai Berger wrote:
>  > > This is my first message here. I'm an experienced C++ programmer, have
>  > > been using Debian (sid) and KDE at home for several years now, and
>  > > finally I'm starting to get into KDE development. My main interests are
>  > > kdepim (as a devout user) and BiDi issues (as a Hebrew user).
>  >
>  > Thanks Shai,
>  >
>  > Committed... but...
>  > we have a problem in dolphin (dolphin/src/ktooltip.cpp) and plasma
>  > (plasma/plasma/plasmaapp.cpp) because both of those unconditionally
>  > assume XRender for any system with X11.
>  >
>  > We need the authors of the relevant code to provide #if (HAVE_XRENDER)
>  > conditional compiles to handle the situation where the XRender stuff
>  > isn't available.
>
>  Apparently this is also a runtime problem. I've seen the Oxygen style and
>  Plasma look funny on a SUNray box, where apparently XRender is not available
>  but (tried to be) used, resulting in LSD-like coloring of lots of widgets.
>  Not that it doesn't look cool, but it does not a match with the artistic
>  vision either. :-)
>
>  CC:ing kde-solaris.

Hi.

Not all SPARC graphics boards support  Xrender (or
XRandR/Xcomposite/Xdamage) on Xsun. Actually, very few of them support
these X extensions.

To determine whether or not Xrender is supported by your graphics
board, you can do

>% xdpyinfo

in an xterm on your workstation, with $DISPLAY set to 0:0, capture the
output to a temporary file and look for the XRENDER extension in the
output. If it can't be found, it's not supported by your graphics
board.

Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.
stefan.teleman at gmail.com