[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Shawn Walker swalker at opensolaris.org
Tue Dec 11 20:36:01 CET 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 12:09 PM, Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman at sun.com> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> > 3rd parties; such as this project. Sun, at last check, isn't the one
> > delivering KDE, Qt4, or stdcxx (yet).
>
> Huh ? Really ?
>
> This project is a Third Party ? Are we a separate legal entity ?
>
> Last i checked this project is part of OpenSolaris. OpenSolaris is a
> "Third Party" now ?
>
>  > Therefore, it is logical to conclude that *other* developers that
>  > depend upon a build of Qt that is linked against the *standard C++
>  > runtime* are going to have problems if this project chooses to
>  > install
>  > the version of Qt linked against stdcxx into a "default installation
>  > location".
>
> First of all you are confusing the C++ runtime with the Standard C++
> Library. These two things are not the same.

Sorry. I meant library; not runtime.

> Who are the "*other* developers" who depend on a build of QT that
> depends on libCstd.so.1 ? There is no QT right now in Solaris, QT3 or
> QT4, therefore there cannot be any "other developer" who depends on
> any particular build configuration of QT.
>
> RedHerring #2: We can't do <X> because of a non-existent hypothetical
> situation <Y>.

Bull. I would bet that most Qt developers that are running Solaris are
building and using the "standard C++ library"; not stdcxx.

As a result, they would be depending on a version of Qt not built with stdcxx.

Are you really going to force them to relocate their build of Qt to a
different place (possibly) just because you want to build yours
against stdcxx which is not an expectation?

It is not a "red herring." I don't see what Qt not being in Solaris
right now has to do with anything.

I'll state this again:

* Application A depends on Qt Y built against normal C++ library

* Application B depends on Qt X built against stdcxx library

How do you solve this?

Or even better, how do you solve this:

* Application A being built by a developer depends on C++ libraries
built against normal C++ library

* Developer of Application A wants to link against Qt that this
project delivers but can't because it was built against stdcxx

How do you deal with the fact that if you install the Qt built against
stdcxx into a "default location" that you are introducing an
incompatible (runtime) dependency into their chain?

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben