[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Shawn Walker swalker at opensolaris.org
Fri Dec 7 14:59:27 CET 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 12:42 AM, Alan DuBoff <alan.duboff at sun.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> > /opt is where it belongs on UNIX systems; /usr is forbidden.
>
> That is how it worked previously, but there has been a push to move things
> into /usr, where it rightfully belongs (some anyway).
>
> David Comay is working to get things moved from /usr/sfw to /usr, and it
> is my understanding that Indiana will have packages in /usr as well.
>
> Ultimately, KDE should be installed to /usr, which is how things work in
> the Linux world. Not that it is right, but the software should be located
> there, IMO, as it would on any system.
>
> Look at GNOME, Sun sticks it in /usr/.

No, that argument for moving to /usr does not hold here. I'm fairly
certain from the ARC cases (which I have been following with interest)
that their reasoning does not apply here as they are things that Sun
is distributing and is a completely different reasoning.

The filesystem standard for /opt applies to 3rd party (optional)
software that you add that does not come from the vendor.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben