[kde-solaris] KDE module targets

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Aug 25 01:23:50 CEST 2007

One of the questions I was asked at Sun.nl was whether we -- KDE-Solaris --
have specific modules targeted first or a plan to roll out KDE. There were
two sub-questions:

1 - what do you need minimally for a KDE desktop
2 - what do you need for a productive KDE desktop

For (1) I answered "kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase." That gets you
the desktop, plasma, window manager (+ compositing!), konqueror, konsole,
kcontrol (if it still exists). kdebase/runtime is absolutely necessary for
any KDE apps now, so we can't get away without building at least some of
kdebase. May as well do all of it.

For (2), "(1) plus kdepim, koffice." That would probably do it for me, and I
don't even use KOffice.

After that, (3) would be "everything else."

Now let's think about how parallelizable this work is. We have kdesupport and
kdelibs; once kdelibs actually installs we can build kdepimlibs. It is small
and I don't expect many problems except that it relies on BOOST. Uh oh. You
*must* have both of those before moving on to kdebase, but you can compile
other things without kdebase -- you just can't run them.

So, priority tree (in ASCII art):

kdesupport -> kdelibs -> kdepimlibs -> kdebase/runtime -> kdebase
                              \------> kdepim
                               \-----> koffice
                                \----> everything else

Runtime testing will have to wait until we have kdebase/runtime. Until we have
kdepimlibs in shape for others to compile, there is not much division of work
to be done -- well, there's all the non-KDE dependencies of the other modules
that can be dealt with, but KDE-specifics need to wait on the libs being
ready. As soon as someone has pimlibs up, please announce it because that
means we can finally spread out over the KDE codebase in a useful manner.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot