[kde-solaris] why is Xsun removing /tmp/.ICE-unix

Alfred Schroeder aschroe1 at lspb.de
Mon Sep 4 15:14:13 CEST 2006

Hi,

we have solaris 9, srss 3.1 with last patch,  KDE 3.1.1
and want update to solaris10.
we use a similar workaround-script as you mentioned.

btw: I'm member in this list, cause we are waiting for a new KDE-version
runnung on solaris  :-)

We get the same problem in our company using solaris 10 01/06,
but following workaround helps us:

in /etc/rc3.d script running after S98utsvc with certain timedelay
e.g. S99zzz-kde-ice-unix
---snip------
#!/bin/sh
# create directory /tmp/.ICE-unix und set rights
#create file /tmp/.ICE-unix/donotdelete and set rights
#-------------------------------------------
sleep
30
# sleep because of srss-Start,  dir /tmp/.ICE-unix

#will be deleted in srss-Start if it exists
[ -d /tmp/.ICE-unix ] || mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix       # create directory
chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix                                    # set
rights for all and sticky-Bit
touch /tmp/.ICE-unix/donotdelete                           # create
root-file
chmod 400 /tmp/.ICE-unix/donotdelete                  # read only for root
----snip ---

effect:   directory /tmp/.ICE-unix will not be deleted or loose its rights
even if restarting dtlogin

hope this helps a little bit

Alfred Schroeder    - Lernstatt Paderborn -
Alfred.Schroeder1 at lspb.de,   aschroe1 at lspb.de