[kde-solaris] KDE 3.5.3 build for Solaris 10

Heiko Falk Heiko.Falk at udo.edu
Thu Jul 13 11:56:11 CEST 2006

Hi Christopher,

On Thursday 13 July 2006 11:16, Christopher Dietz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Under all these KDEs, I have problems when locking the screen with the
> > KDE screensavers. When trying to unlock the screen, I simply get the
> > following error message:
> >
> >   "Cannot unlock the session because the authentication system failed
> > to work; you must kill kdesktop_lock (pid ....) manually."
>
> Do you run kcheckpass as normal user? You usually have to set the suid bit
> to get this working.

I think, the permissions of kcheckpass are OK:

-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     bin         28924 Nov  8  2004 kcheckpass*

> Btw you can check the authentification system more simply by running
> kcheckpass; echo $?
> instead of locking the desktop :-)

That's cool - that simplifies testing a lot...!			:)

On my Solaris 10 box, the above line leads to a return value 2 (AuthError):

kcheckpass; echo $?
Password:
2

On a Solaris 9 machine, I get a return value 0.

I built kcheckpass/kdebase with these options for configure:
--with-shadow --with-rpcauth --with-pam=yes

When installing my KDEs under Solaris 10, I used the template
for /etc/pam.conf provided by Stefan Teleman
(ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/contrib/Solaris/SUNSTUDIO10/INSTALLATION/PAM.INSTALL/etc.pam.conf.diff).
Here, I don't see any entry for kcheckpass. Is this OK?

/etc/rpc and /etc/services also contain entries just for dcopserver and dcop.

  Heiko

Dr. Heiko Falk

University of Dortmund
Department of Computer Science 12 (Embedded Systems Group)
Otto-Hahn-Strasse 16, Room E-19

44221 Dortmund
Germany

Phone:  +49 231 755 6124