[kde-solaris] Compilation patches for KDE/Solaris

Albert Chin kde-solaris at mlists.thewrittenword.com
Wed Jan 18 22:43:21 CET 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:30:44PM -0500, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 January 2006 14:15, Albert Chin wrote:
>
> > FYI, the latest HP-UX 11.23/IA-64 C++ compiler and the latest SGI C++
> > compiler can build KDE much better than Studio 10 out of the box. We
> > currently have arts, kdebase, kdelibs, kdegraphics, and kdenetwork
> > build with both of these compilers. We haven't tested extensively but
> > kate works fine.
>
> kate works fine with Sun Studio as well, albeit requiring patching.
>
> > Both of these compilers use the commercial EDG C++ front-end. I wonder
> > if Sun rolls their own front-end.
> >   http://www.edg.com/
>
> Sun Studio has its own front end. AFAIK it's not based on EDG, it's Sun's
> home-grown. i don't know if there are plans to move Sun Studio to EDG.

BTW, the IBM C++ compiler also seems to do an OK job building KDE
3.4.3 (someone even uploaded AIX binaries based on xlC v7). However,
considering the extensive patches required for Sun Studio 10 (dunno
about 11), I'm left to wonder who's interpreting the C++ standard
correctly.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)