[kde-solaris] Installation questions

Adrian Murillo MURILLA1 at WESTAT.com
Wed Feb 15 02:50:10 CET 2006

How do I re-intsall  the *.UTF-8 locales ?

Sorry, I am a noob...

________________________________

From: Stefan Teleman [mailto:steleman at nyc.rr.com]
Sent: Tue 2/14/2006 8:41 PM
To: KDE Solaris
Subject: Re: [kde-solaris] Installation questions

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 09:59, Adrian Murillo wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the steps...

> As a note:
> Under the directions to install DTLOGIN it reads that:
> mkdtlogin does not create the necessary directory tree, so I found
> the directory tree under /usr/dt/config/C and copied them to
> .../en_US.UTF-8 where the only directory in there was Xresources.d

this means that the en_US.UTF-8 locale is not installed at all on your
system -- you only have the default skeleton directory.

this being the case, the dtlogin Session KDE menu will not show up,
because en_US.UTF-8 is just not a session language/locale option on
your system.

the best way of fixing this is to install the *.UTF-8 locales, and
then re-run mkdtlogin with the appropriate arguments. KDE is very
UTF-8 friendly, and if you ever want to switch locales or languages,
or use more than one language (en_US), UTF-8 is much better than the
old *.ISO8859-*.

the hacky way of fixing this (if you don't want to install the UTF-8
locales) is actually quite painful, and it involves quite a bit of
hand editing and copying. you would have to:

1. copy the Xresources.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.UTF-8 file
from /usr/dt/config/en_US.UTF-8/Xresources.d/
to /usr/dt/config/en_US.ISO8859-1/Xresources.d/
(or /usr/dt/config/en_US.ISO8859-15/Xresources.d/), whichever you
happen to have chosen. Please make sure that at least one of these
directories exists, and it contains all the files described in the
DTLOGIN installation instructions. If there directories do not exist,
or are completely empty, or do not contain all the files described in
the installation instructions, it means that the corresponding locale
is not installed on your system. If that is the case, the
corresponding dtlogin KDE session menu will not be available.
2. rename the suffix of this file from en_US.UTF-8 to en_US.ISO8859-1
(or en_US.ISO8859-15).
3. edit the contents of this file, and replace all instances of the
string 'en_US.UTF-8' with either 'en_US.ISO8859-1' or
'en_US.ISO8859-15'.
4. rename the suffix en_US.UTF-8 to either en-US.ISO8859-1 or
en_US.ISO8859-15 for the following files:

/usr/dt/config/Xsession.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.UTF-8
/usr/dt/config/Xsession2.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.UTF-8
/usr/dt/config/Xinitrc.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.UTF-8

5. edit the contents of _all_ these three files, and replace all
instances of the string 'en_US.UTF-8' with either 'en_US.ISO8859-1'
or 'en_US.ISO8859-15'.

6. copy /opt/kde-3.4.3/bin/startkde.en_US.UTF-8
to /opt/kde-3.4.3/bin/startkde.en_US.ISO8859-1
(or /opt/kde-3.4.3/bin/startkde.en_US.ISO8859-15)

7. edit the contents of this new KDE startup script
(/opt/kde-3.4.3/bin/startkde.en_US.ISO8859-?), and replace all
instances of the string 'en_US.UTF-8' with either 'en_US.ISO8859-1'
or 'en_US.ISO8859-15'.

At this point, you should have the following file structure (let's
assume that you are using en_US.ISO8859-15):

/opt/kde-3.4.3/bin/startkde.en_US.ISO8859-15
/usr/dt/config/Xsession.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.ISO8859-15
/usr/dt/config/Xsession2.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.ISO8859-15
/usr/dt/config/Xinitrc.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.en_US.ISO8859-15
/usr/dt/config/en_US.ISO8859-15/Xresources.d/Xresources.KDE-3.4.3-32.en_US.ISO8859-15
/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/KDE343Login
/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/en_US.ISO8859-15/KDE343Login

If all these files exist, and they have been edited correctly, you are
ready to test the dtlogin KDE session menu. To do this, from the
dtlogin screen, firs choose Options -> Reset Login Screen. After
this, there should be a Session entry for KDE 3.4.3:

Options -> Session -> KDE 3.4.3 [32-bit en_US.ISO8859-15]

Note: you _must_ be running in the en_US.ISO8859-15 system locale when
trying this. Otherwise the session will not appear in any other
language/locale combination, even though it may be correctly
installed and configured.

So, as you can see,  this is quite involved. My personal opinion is
that it is much easier to just install the *.UTF-8 locales and then
run the mkdtlogin program again, and then use en_US.UTF-8 in KDE.

I hope this makes sense. If you run into problems, or have any
questions, just email me directly.

For any other language/encoding setting, repeat the same messy
procedure above, with the corresponding language/encoding.

--Stefan

-----