[kde-solaris] KDE 3.4.3 install questions

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Feb 8 15:10:40 CET 2006

Hi.

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 06:58, Gérard Henry wrote:
> hello all,
> i'm trying to install KDE 3.4.3 on a solaris 10 machine (this host
> is a sunray server). So i went to sunfreeware, then
> ftp://sunfreeware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/sunfreeware/KDE/, but don't
> uderstand how to deal with it.
> Fisrt, in file OLD.KDE_INSTALLATION_INSTRUCTIONS, it mention
> KDEkdedtlogin, but i don't find this package on ftp site.
> I only found:

This is correct. the OLD installations had a package KDEkdedtlogin.
That proved to be impractical, so this package no longer exists at
all. There are new instructions, and a new simple program called
'mkdtlogin', for creating the dtlogin Session menu entries.

> then, i read
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-solaris&m=113497402431141&w=2 "only
> work with nVIDIA cards, and most likely, this build of KDE will not
> even work at all on any other types of video cards."
> that mean that i have no chance to make it work on sunray?

To get it to work on a SunRay, you have to install KDE on a SunRay
server first. :-) As far as i know, a SunRay client doesn't even have
a 2-D/3-D accelerated video card. So, if the SunRay server is a SPARC
box, you don't even have to worry about nVIDIA at all, because the
box will have its own 2-D/3-D Sun video card hopefully. I have never
tested this on a SunRay, though.

However, if your SunRay server is an X86 box, then yes, you need a
nVIDIA card.

If you install these packages, please make sure to also install all
the binary patches, after installing the distro packages.