[kde-solaris] KDE 3.4.3 binary patches

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Feb 1 07:03:27 CET 2006

Hi.

I have uploaded two patches for KDE 3.4.3:

KDE20060131-01
KDE20060131-02

KDE20060131-01 is the K3B patch. this fixes the problems reported here
before with K3b, and adds support for external USB devices. I have
tested this patch with my SCSI/ATAPI DVD burners on my Opteron box,
as well as with my external USB DVD burner (SONY). On SPARC, i could
only test with the external SONY, since the Blade 2000 does not come
with a DVD burner.

Some things to keep in mind about K3B (after having tested it for the
past two weeks and destroyed about 60 DVD's):

- DVD-R/DVD-RW support is not nearly as stable as DVD+R/DVD+RW. i very
strongly recommend using DVD+R/DVD+RW. There is no benefit in using
DVD-R/DVD-RW anyway, and the discs are also more expensive.
- Dual Layer burning support is unstable. i have created DL DVD's, and
some were created correctly some were corrupted. it appears that,
again, DVD+R DL is generally more successful than DVD-R DL. This is
probably related to the fact that DVD-R/DVD-RW DL is not yet
standardized (MountFuji6 is still in early draft mode).
- Please be very careful with the burning options you choose,
especially for DVD's, but also for CD's. I have learned that choosing
the maximum burning speed supported by the burner (16x for DVD's)
increases the chances of failure. I have had no failures when burning
DVD's at 8x.

The problems mentioned above are not K3B problems per se, these are
problems with the DVD burning software used by K3B. This requires
another set of patches for the DVD burning software.

CD burning seems very stable. I recommend buying a set of cheap
DVD+R's and CD-R's and doing a few test burns with small data sets at
first, just to determine the optimal K3B settings for your CD/DVD
burner.

KDE20060131-02 is actually not a patch, it is Konversation 0.19.
Konversation is a very nice IRC client. Had i known about it before
releasing 3.4.3 i would have included it in the distro. The source
code patches for Konversation can be found in the normal
SOURCE.PATCHES directory for KDE 3.4.3.

As usual, if you run into trouble, or need help, please email me
directly or post here.