[kde-solaris] Adding KDE 3.4.1 to session menu in dtlogin

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 01:09:52 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 13:31, Mirko Raner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed KDE 3.4.1 (SunStudio build) on a SunBlade 2500.
> After the usual little adjustments (installing libsunmath.so in
> /usr/lib, etc.) I can start KDE manually and it runs just fine. I also
> installed the kdedtlogin package, but KDE does not appear in the session
> list of the login screen.

Hi.

you should not have to start it from command line, this is painful and ugly.
it should work from the dtlogin Sessions menu.

the KDEkdedtlogin.<something> package installs the following files:

/usr/dt/config/Xsession.KDE-3.4.1-32
/usr/dt/config/Xsession2.KDE-3.4.1-32
/usr/dt/config/Xinitrc.KDE-3.4.1-32
/usr/dt/config/en_US.UTF-8/Xresources.d/Xresources.KDE-3.4.1-32

all of these are actually Korn shell scripts, so they are readable.

if all these files are present, and you are using en_US.UTF-8 locale as system
locale, the only thing you should have to do is "Reset Login Screen" from the
dtlogin dropdown, and then KDE 3.4.1 should show up in the "Sessions" dtlogin
drop[down|up].

if by any chance you have customized your Xservers file and put a copy
in /etc/dt/config/Xservers (many of us do), then you have to copy these 4
files from /usr/dt/config to /etc/dt/config, preserving relative directory
paths (because Xservers is present in /etc/dt/config, dtlogin expects the
session files to reside in the same directory tree as well).

now, if this *still* does not work, and you *still* don't have KDE in the
Sessions dropdown, please let me know because that means something else is
not right. this is the config i have on my boxes and i swear it works (yes, i
know, "it works on my machine" -- excuse #1 :-)

please let me know.

--Stefan

P.S. KDE 3.4.2 is on its way. *many many many* improvements, both for
IA32/AMD32 and especially for UltraSPARC. that's why i'm late. :-)