[kde-solaris] aKode support for Solaris

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Oct 31 03:00:24 CET 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 10:36, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> I've updated aKode to improve support for Solaris machines, but I need some
> testing to see how well it works.
>
> Please download aKode from http://carewolf.com/akode/akode-2.0b4.tar.gz
> and test if it compiles and configures correctly on Solaris, and akodeplay
> can autodetect Sun Audio out and play.
>
> Also if changes are needed to compile with SUNWspro, please send the
> patches to me.

Hi.

i have built akode-2.0b5 with SunStudio10 on Solaris 10 both UltraSPARC II
and Opteron (Pentium 4 -- mmx/sse/sse2).

the build is flawless, the sun audio sink was identified right away. there are
no patches required for SunStudio 10.

the sound quality is excellent, i have tested this with ogg, mp3 and wav. i
have also tested it by playing files over NFS (USB 1.0 hard drive @5400 RPM
-- in other words: crappy I/O :-). there were no breaks or gaps and no
audible flaws, even when listening with headphones and speakers.

i have also built the experimental ffmpeg plugin. there are a few patches for
the ffmpeg plugin, there are some differences in the signatures of the
callbacks (i have ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1). it could very well be that there are
differences between versions of ffmpeg-0.4.9, which is not yet final.

i would like to include this in my upcoming release of KDE, and i would like
to also use it for AmaroK.

i also hope aKode replaces aRts. :-)

i will send you the ffmpeg patch in a separate email (just for documentation
purposes).