[kde-solaris] GNU Makefiles should only use Bourne Shell Syntax - Not Bash. (was: Re: Unhelpful error building dcop in kdelibs)

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Mon Jan 31 22:55:46 CET 2005

Sunil wrote:
> But understand that the guy(most of the young brigade
> of developers) who started out using and knowing only
> bash, will probably not know much about compatibility
> with sh and the scripts he is writing are working
> perfect because he is doing his development on linux.
> Most of the time they don't even have the access to
> solaris/hpux to test out their stuff. What do you
> expect for free, people!!
>
> I am not encouraging people to digress from
> documentation but GNU should probably make it a
> requirement to have /bin/sh point to /bin/bash for
> using its libraries/tools. I have been using that
> setup on my solaris forever and I have yet to see any
> problems.
>
> -Sunil

Well,  As bash is supplied as standard on Solaris 9 & 10 this
real problem with buliding S/W  developed for LInux on UNIX can
be considered partly solved.

Basically  Solaris will have to adapt to linux because all the
software development going on in the Linux world.

And it will,  Solaris 10 x86_64  will run linux compiled linux
binaries.

Lets face it : You all will have to ditch Solaris 8  soon....

Watch the SUN launch event tomorrow  22:00 GMT (Feb 1 )