[kde-solaris] X resources with KDE?

Daniel Rawson Daniel.Rawson at asml.com
Thu Apr 21 16:41:13 CEST 2005

Karsten Künne wrote:
> On Thursday 21 April 2005 07:37, Daniel Rawson wrote:
>
>>Correct . . . however, that changes the behaviour for ALL windows; what I'd
>>like to do (and what you can do with X resources) is to change the
>>behaviour for a SPECIFIC app.
>>

> I don't think any modern desktop environment for X (like KDE or Gnome) uses or
> respects X resources. X resources were (painfully) used 10 years ago and that
> time is over. What you can do with Kwin is, right click on the title bar of a
> window, move the cursor to "Advanced" and then "Special Window Settings...".
> There you can define certain settings like for instance "No border", geometry
> and so on for windows of this application. I just tried it with my KDE 3.3.2
> (on Linux but that shouldn't matter).
>

> Karsten.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work here; don't know if its KDE itself, Solaris, my build, or . . . .

For my perfmeter windows, if I click "No pager" and "No taskbar" (and select force), it gets ignored (the  window shows up on the taskbar).  The border setting (on the other hand) DOES get used.  In addition, you can't (AFAIK) control the individual elements of the window like max/min buttons this way.

I'm doing this from the "Window-Specific Settings" area that I've defined for perfmeter.  Window class is specified as "Perfmeter" (altho KDE keeps changing the initial cap to lower case).

X resources aren't painful, they're just cryptic <g>.  I'm sure there's a good philosophical arguement here about what's the best way to define and control window resource, but all I really want to do is turn of the max and min buttons :-))

Dan

--
The information contained in this communication and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged, and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. ASML is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.