[kde-solaris] Re: kde-solaris Digest, Vol 19, Issue 2

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Mon Oct 4 13:52:50 CEST 2004

Hi Christian,

you can change the temp dir by setting $KDETMP. This involves
- communication sockets (created by "lnusertemp socket" in startkde)
  default: /tmp => /tmp/ksocket-$USER/
- temporary data (created by "lnusertemp tmp")
  default: /tmp/kde-$USER/
new in kde 3.2:
- cache data (http, faviconssycaoca, help pages, etc, created by "lnusertemp
cache")
  default: /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER

btw, it is probably a good idea to also provide a host sycoca (sycoca: system
configuration cache) which is created with kbuildsycoca run as root.

You can also set $ICEAUTHORITY to choose the .ICEauthority file and
$DCOPAUTHORITY to choose the .DCOPserver file.

I hope that helps.

Greetings,
eva

Am Samstag, 2. Oktober 2004 22:35 schrieb Christian Viller Hansen:
> Hi
>
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> > Here's my concern about installing KDE in a fixed path (whatever that
> > path may be): we inadvertently create a problem for the sysadmins in
> > enterprise environments. Meaning, if we always build KDE to install
> > in <insert-your-favorite-path-here>, any new release of KDE will
> > overwrite the existing one. Which, in a company type setup is
> > difficult to manage, especially when the company in question has some
> > very strict standards as to how and where to install software.
> > Company syadmins usually like to install a "let's try this new
> > release" version of any software, and test it, before they make it
> > available to everyone. If we keep overwriting, the sysadmins will be
> > very reluctant to install and deploy newer versions of KDE. And the
> > sysadmins are a very important group of people: they know the root
> > password. We want to keep them very happy. :-)
>
> Yes it would!
>
> I maintain KDE at my university with about 600 sunrays (thin clients). I
> compiled kde 3.2.(1-3) by hand. The main reason i didn't use the kde from
> sfw (i know that the packages made by Stefan != sfw packages) was the lack
> of flexibility. I like to install kde in a directory reflecting the
> release number and the making symlinks to a directory in the users path,
> so I think it would be a really good idea to avoid fixed paths. It saves
> me a lot of time not having to make the same changes each time a new
> release installed.
>
> A question: We have one dedicated server to run the sunrayserver
> and basic wm (to ensure fast response on the sunrays) and some
> sun-fire servers to applications. The problem is related to the DCOP
> server. We use loadbalancing, so when the user starts a program from
> the menu, one of 12 servers will server the application. If that
> application is kde application, the DCOP server/kdeinit is started on the
> server. It takes a while to start kdeinit, but would it be possible to
> make it place the pipes somewhere in the homedir (nfs mounted), so that
> only one DCOP servers pr. user is needed?
>

> -Christian

basysKom
Ingenieurbüro Brucherseifer und Ackermann GbR
IT System Kompetenz
Dipl.-Ing. Eva Brucherseifer
Karlstr. 45
64283 Darmstadt