[kde-solaris] a little help please?

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Thu Mar 11 21:13:55 CET 2004

The Nelson's wrote:
> New to this so .......go easy.  i went through the BigAdmin faq. on
> installing and runing KDE on solaris.
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/kde_on_sun.html
>
> However it was not specific on many points. Like were the files located
> that must be changed and/or created (i.e. .login and .cshrc ). Now when
> i login it looks like i can start kde but when i chose it , it says
> starting Open Windows  and then reverts to the login screen.  What gives?
> Mark Nelson

Hi Mark,

   Well I usually put PATH additions into the
PATH and SUPATH  statements  in   /etc/default/login  and in
/etc/default/su  and then remove the comment (#) sign in the beginning
of those lines.

Then I usually put a LD_LIBRARY_PATH  statement at the end of /etc/profile
Lots of other systemwide variables also goes into /etc/profile.
My systems usually end up looking something like this.

-----(snip)----(end_of_/etc/profile)--------

JMFHOME=/usr/JMF-2.1.1e
export JMFHOME
CLASSPATH=$JMFHOME/lib/jmf.jar:$JMFHOME/lib/sound.jar:.:${CLASSPATH}
export CLASSPATH
MLIBHOME=/opt/SUNWmlib
export MLIBHOME
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/sfw/lib:/opt/sfw/lib:$MLIBHOME/lib:$JMFHOME/lib
MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/openwin/man:/usr/dt/man:/opt/SUNWspro/man:/usr/local/man:/opt/sfw/man
JAVA_HOME=/usr/j2se
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH MANPATH JAVA_HOME

This then makes it a non-issue which shell you are actually using.
Since all the systemenvironment variables gets exported before
the user shell is started.

The author of the aforementioned article was obviously using C-shell.
If you are using Korn shell or Bash the instructions in the article doesnt work.

Regards