[kde-solaris] 32-bit KDE 3.2.2 Solaris packages built with Forte

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 05:29:49 CEST 2004

Hi.

I have uploaded the 32-bit KDE 3.2.2 packages for Solaris 8/9 built on
Solaris 8 with the Sun Forte 8 compilers, consisting of a full
release of KDE, KDevelop 3.0.3 and Quanta 3.2.2. As an added bonus,
KBear 2.1 is included in the kdenetwork package. The packages can be
found at:

kde/stable/3.2.2/contrib/Solaris/8/

from your favorite KDE mirror. Please allow a few hours for the
mirrors to sync (the lag time can be anywhere between 3 to 12 hours).

KOffice 1.3.1 will follow very shortly.

Some notes about this release:

All the security patches announced in May have been applied to this
binary release.

The installation directories follow the same conventions as before
(/opt/qt-3.3.2-32 and /opt/kde-3.2.2).

The kderequired package is fully binary compatible with the Forte
built KDE packages for 3.2.1 or 3.1.4. You can safely remove any of
the previous versions of kderequired, and install the current
version; it will not break KDE 3.1.4 or 3.2.1.

This version of KDE uses QT 3.3.2. I have noticed many improvements in
this release of QT. Most notably, the menu translucency effects are
handled much better than in previous releases, even without XRender.
I have also noticed many speed improvements in KDE overall.
Personally, i like this release of KDE very much.

If you are interested in the KDE Java bindings, there are significant
improvements in kdebindings as well.

I have included the URL for TrueType font antialiasing configuration
in the Installation Instructions. ttmkfdir, fontconfig and freetype
are included in the kderequired package. If you have not installed
KDE before, please please please read the installation instructions.
:-P

As usual, if you have any questions, please post a question here or
send me an email -- i will try to help.

Please make sure you have applied the latest Sun patches to the
standard C/C++ libraries and to the X server. Usually, the latest
jumbo recommended patch cluster from Sun contains all that is needed.

Please also make sure that your X server runs in 24-bit mode.

If you do not have /usr/lib/libsunmath.so.1 installed on your system,
then you should install the kderuntime package. Sun allows libsunmath
to be freely distributed with third-party software. You do not need
to install this package if libsunmath.so.1 is already installed, and
it is a reasonably recent version.

The Forte compilers and GCC are NOT binary compatible. I have received
many emails about problems when KDE built with Forte picks up some
libraries (usually graphic file formats like png or jpeg) built with
GCC. This will cause problems that i cannot fix. It can cause icons
or images to not be displayed, or to be displayed incorreclty, or
even unexplainable weird behavior or crashes.

I have also uploaded all the patches to the modified files in xdelta
format (xdelta can be found in kderequired), and also as a tar.bz2
archive of all the modified source files in
KDE322PatchedFilesInFull.tar.bz2. I find it easier to just use a full
source file, rather than applying patches. I have also uploaded an
archive of all my configuration files, containing compiler flags for
Forte, some trivial but useful environment variable settings, and a
sample libtool (which had to be modified by hand). The same libtool
can be used to built all the KDE modules.

I will upload the patches for KOffice 1.3.1 together with the binary
package.

If you attempt at building KDE from source, with my patches, with
Forte 8, on Solaris 9, there may be additional patching required
(mostly related to ambiguities between double and long double in some
standard math library functions). Usually, these can be easily fixed
with a static_cast<double>(offender variable). Also, please keep in
mind that, unless you also build all the required libraries with
Forte, you will most likely run into the Forte/GCC binary
incompatibility problem.

It is very likely that these packages will run just fine on Solaris 9
as well. I have not had the time to test on Solaris 9 yet -- i am
planning on testing it this weekend, and i will post an update.

Have fun with KDE.