[kde-solaris] ... people are running KDE3 on systems with as little as 64MB for daily use.

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 14:24:00 CET 2004

Hi! :-)

My replies are inlined.

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 05:41, Rolf Sponsel wrote:
> Please bear with me ;-) this is *not* a flame.
> I'm just trying to understand this better.
>

> Obviously there is something that I
> haven't understood yet about Solaris.

There are many things i don't understand about Solaris either. :-)

>  From my understanding, for Solaris 2 (SPARC),
> the *available memory* is RAM + SWAP (which
> can be either on a separate partition, or
> a swap file on any ordinary partition).

Yes.

> Additionally, the '/tmp' file system (by
> default) is allocated from the space of
> available memory.

This is what i am not sure about. My understanding is that, on
Solaris, if /tmp is not mounted on its separate disk partition, the
kernel will create a TMPFS partition on /tmp when mounting swap, at
boot time, and mount swap on it -- if this is not true, and i am
being bogus, please say so. :-) With this configuration, this
explains why, when rebooting Solaris, the files in /tmp are gone, and
/tmp is re-created. Now, if, during normal usage/running of Solaris,
some big files accumulate under /tmp (which is mounted as TMPFS) they
will take space out of the swap partition, in fact. So, the system
may have, initially, started out with plenty of virtual memory, but
something (or somethings) got dumped or written to /tmp, or written
to, /tmp, and now they are taking a lot of space from swap. So, all
of a sudden there's a swap space problem when there didn't use to be
one. Best way to avoid it, is to mount /tmp under its own personal
disk partition, which is what Marco was suggesting the other day --
my Sun boxes, and many Sun boxes i've seen are configured this way.

> Now, if one has a set of applications that
> run fine on, let's say 128MB RAM (alt .5GB)
> and 384MB SWAP (alt 1.5GB); then I don't
> understand why that *same* set of applications
> with the configuration .5GB (alt 2GB) and
> 0MB SWAP (alt 0GB) should *not* run fine.

It could be the thing above. And it could also very well be that, the
swapper makes decisions on how and when to swap based on the size of
core RAM. One machine has little RAM, the swapper decides "well,
there's probably going to be not a lot of swap, so i better behave".
Another machine has a lot of RAM, the swapper decides "lots of RAM,
i'm going to swap, to keep as much core free as possible".

There's one other aspect: Linux seems to have very different swapping
habits than Solaris. My experience has been that Linux tries to avoid
swapping at all costs, whereas Solaris tries to keep as much free
core as possible, and swaps significantly more than Linux.

--Stefan

------