[kde-solaris] swap space requirements [was: KDE 3.1.4 - Can't talk to klauncher]

Rolf Sponsel Rolf.Sponsel at kstr.lth.se
Mon Jan 26 18:23:21 CET 2004

Please find my comments in-lined.

Regards / Rolf

Stefan Teleman wrote:
> I think that my earlier rule of thumb recommendation of at least a
> factor of 3 for swap ratio to core RAM falls within the factor of 4
> you quote and use below. And i don't believe your factor of 4 is
> accidental.

Believe me - it is. I explicitly increased it when upgrading
my hard drive. It used to be *32MB*(!)

> And you're not running KDE, but GNOME.

I'd love to try KDE on my machine, but
everybody seems to advide me against
doing that (because of the vast ammount
of memory requirements).

On the other hand they did that about
GNOME too :-) But it turned out it's
not noticable more heavy on resources
than CDE, etc.

> And it's not Solaris 8, but Solaris 7.

Well, my experiences are that new Solaris
releases tend to become more and more "ligiere".

> Have you tried shrinking the swap space on your box to half of what
> it is now ? :-) That would be a factor of 2, and at least a start
> towards proving that you dont' need at least 3 times core RAM.

Actually I've been running Solaris with less that that during
the years. It's only 1 year since I replaced my 1GB (!) disk
with a 36GB one ;-)

Tell me; do you really think that I'll *have to* add another 0.5 GB
swap space to my system when - if - I decide to add another 128MB?
I do not - rather on the contrary (should I want reduce it) ;-)

> And here's the first sentence from "Planning for Swap Space":
>
> "The most important factors in determining swap space size are the
> requirements of the system's software applications."

Stefan, I think you stopped reading that paragraph to early ;-)

"The most important factors in determining swap space size are the
      requirements of the system's software applications. For example,
large applications such as computer-aided-design simulators,
database-management products, transaction monitors, and geologic
analysis systems can consume as much as 200-1000 Mbytes of swap space."

> Nowhere do i  see on that page (or in other subsequent ones) that
> the 3 times rule of thumb is incorrect.

No it doesn't ;-)

But, these large applications, I suppose, are to run in a desktop
environment *and* none of the examples given in the general
guidelines have swap space that is larger that the pysical memory
(they're actually 1/4:th of the size of the physical memory).

I really doubt that KDE should require 4 times the size of the
physical memory to run. If so!? It must be really, really badly
broken (hopefully not by design).

--
----
------