[kde-solaris] kde 3.1.4 and VNC on solaris 8

Missner, T. R. T.R.Missner at Level3.com
Mon Jan 19 20:13:04 CET 2004

Thanks for the info Stefan.

I will try libVncServer.

Incidentally,  I finished installing kde 3.1.5 this morning ( built with
gcc 3 ) and it did the exact same thing 3.1.4 did when I tried to use it
with realvnc.

T.R. Missner
Senior Software Engineer
Softswitch Integration and Development
Level (3) Communications

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Teleman [mailto:steleman at nyc.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 11:41 AM
To: KDE Solaris; Missner, T. R.
Subject: Re: [kde-solaris] kde 3.1.4 and VNC on solaris 8

Hi!

VNC from realvnc.com does not seem to work on Solaris (found a lot of
documentation about this on Google, along with my own unsuccessful
attempts).

However, LibVNCServer written by Johannes E. Schindelin works very
well. I have built it a couple weeks ago and i have been testing it
extensively between KDE's (Solaris and Linux) and between KDE and
Windows XP, and it seems to work quite well. It is also able to
connect to display :0, which is very nice. Kind of strange to see a
Windows XP desktop on a Sun. :-)

As far as VNC on Windows XP goes, i have been using the binary Win32
VNC build from realvnc.com.

I even have a Sun pkg built for LibVNCServer 0.6. I will upload it
today (it's not very big). To install it, the usual pkgadd, it
installs under /opt/fsw4sun/*. There is a simple shell script named
'runVNC' (in /opt/fsw4sun/examples/) which is a sample startup shell
script -- it needs very few tweaks to work on your machine. To use
authentication, you can use the 'storepasswd' binary which comes with
LibVNC.

--Stefan

-----