[kde-solaris] KDE without root permissions

Darrell Esau Darrell.Esau at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 30 23:04:20 CEST 2004

Hi Joerg,

It is possible.

I've recently finished compiling KDE 3.3 for Solaris in an environment where I
don't have root.

I'm not having any issues.

Of course compiling on Solaris can be a bear -- but there wasn't anything
special that needed to be done for the lack of root... just the usual
configure --prefix=/somewhere/writable; make; make install

Modifying the dt login menu requires root, so I'm just logging in "failsafe"
and running ${KDEDIR}/bin/startkde

-d