[kde-solaris] kcontrol crash in KDE 3.2.2

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 12 01:57:33 CEST 2004

Hi :-)

I see two problems:

1. kchmod complains about at least one of the following directories
missing:
/tmp/.X11-unix
/tmp/.X11-pipe
/tmp/.ICE-unix

These are needed for ICE and X. If any of them are missing, you can
safely create them manually, owner root group root, permissions 0777
with sticky bit set.

2. the crashes in kcontrol and icons not showing up are caused by
libpng picking up the wrong (or wrong version of) libz -- as per the
errors about libpng in the log. Another symptom would be that the
keramik style basically does not work at all.

This is one of the nastiest things to get right in KDE on Solaris 8.
There should be a libz in /usr/lib/libz.so.1 -- this is the one
libpng likes. There is another libz in /opt/fsw4sun/libz, which is
picked up by other modules of KDE (yes, this is messy), because the
one in /usr/lib/libz.so.1 does not work.

One easy way to test the libz problem is to do

ldd /opt/kde-3.2.2/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/keramik.so

it should look like this:
       libpthread.so.1 =>       /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1
        librt.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/librt.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libCrun.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libCrun.so.1
        libCstd.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libCstd.so.1
        libqt-mt.so.3 =>         /opt/qt-3.3.2-32/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
        libkdefx.so.4 =>         /opt/kde-3.2.2/lib/libkdefx.so.4
        libXext.so.0 =>  /usr/lib/libXext.so.0
        libaio.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libaio.so.1
        libaudio.so.2.3 =>       /opt/fsw4sun/lib/libaudio.so.2.3
        libXt.so.4 =>    /usr/lib/libXt.so.4
        libmng.so.1 =>   /opt/fsw4sun/lib/libmng.so.1
        libjpeg.so.62.0.0 =>     /opt/fsw4sun/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0
        libpng.so.3 =>   /opt/fsw4sun/lib/libpng.so.3
        libz.so =>       /usr/lib/libz.so  <<===== this is the one!!
        libGL.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
        libXmu.so.4 =>   /usr/lib/libXmu.so.4
        libX11.so.4 =>   /usr/lib/libX11.so.4
        libxnet.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libxnet.so.1
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libresolv.so.2 =>        /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libSM.so.6 =>    /usr/lib/libSM.so.6
        libICE.so.6 =>   /usr/lib/libICE.so.6
        liblcms.so.1 =>  /opt/fsw4sun/lib/liblcms.so.1
        libdga.so.1 =>   /usr/openwin/lib/libdga.so.1
        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
        libthread.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so.1
        /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-60/lib/libc_psr.so.1
        /usr/lib/cpu/sparcv8plus/libCstd_isa.so.1

With this libz.so, keramik and all the icons will work. The version of
libz i have in /usr/lib is

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root       11 2002-10-19 21:36 libz.so ->
./libz.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root  bin     69632 2003-01-30 18:16 libz.so.1

Please let me know.

--Stefan

------