[kde-solaris] Memory usage

M Hawkins Mike.Hawkins at awe.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 12:54:07 CEST 2004

Hi,
	I have compiled Stefan's version of KDE 3.2.2 using his runconfig
and workshop settings files. But I am worried by the memory usage and was
wondering if people where seeing the same.  For 3.2.2 swap -s shows

total: 77592k bytes allocated + 251128k reserved = 328720k used, 100392k
available
                                ^^^^^^^
this is for a basic default kde session, with only one konsole running and
no mail

compare this to kde 3.1.1 built with gcc

total: 112648k bytes allocated + 65584K reserved = 178232k used, 510872k
available
                                 ^^^^^^

this is for a big session with mozilla, mail and editors running.  The
machines are pretty much identical with 256MB of memory except the second
one has 512MB of swap configured.

Am I the only one seeing this massive increase ?  I have to find a way
around this because at the moment I can only run about 5 konsoles and mail
before things start falling apart.

Thanks

Mike

--
Mike Hawkins                 "Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't
mh at awe.co.uk                  get sucked into jet engines"

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is commercial in confidence. If you are not the named addressee(s) or if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  Please notify us immediately by email at admin.internet(at)awe.co.uk, and then delete this message from your computer.  While attachments are virus checked, AWE plc does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.

AWE Plc
Registered in England and Wales
Registration No 02763902
AWE, Aldermaston, Reading, RG7 4PR