[kde-solaris] KDE screenlock/unlock

Torsten Kasch tk at Genetik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Tue Oct 21 09:21:40 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Monday 20 October 2003 18:02, Rocendo Bracamontes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem.
>
> Here is the fix, I hope it works for you too.
>
> change the permissions on the file kcheckpass,  somehow it needs write
> permission for everybody.

I don't think this is a good idea (what should having a world-writable
executable be good for?).

If you are using "files" as the naming service for the "passwd" database in
nsswitch.conf(4), "kcheckpass" (a) has to be installed setuid root in order
to be able to access /etc/shadow and (b) has to reside on a partition that is
mounted with the setuid flag (i.e. you must not specify a "nosuid" option
when mounting the partition where your KDE is installed on).

Hope this helps,

	Torsten

--
   Torsten Kasch                               tk at Genetik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
        Biologie VI/Zentrum für Genomforschung