[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1 and vold

Torsten Kasch kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Sun Mar 23 17:36:00 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 03:12:15PM +0000, Nick THOMPSON wrote:
> We got so fed-up with vold (not KDE's integration with it) crashing
> workstations and the like, that we opted to create a system which worked

Yes, we had (and still have) problems with Solaris' vold when using ZIPs
for quite some time as well (see Sun's BugID 4433085 if you have a SunSolve
account), although we didn't experience crashes. Sometimes it seems necessary
to reboot a workstation to get volmgt going again because of the "vol"
kernel module locking up on some media (which are fine on PCs...).

> a little more like Linux - allowing user mountable devices. We created a
> couple of SUID perl scripts call 'mount' and 'umount' which checks a
> file in /etc to see if users are allowed to mount a specific device...
[...]

Well, I'd consider this more a workaround than a real solution. In order
to avoid setuid scripts, we did some experiments with a similar approach
(using the automounter for removable media, with a suitable low timeout
so that the device's eject button does what it should ;-) But this didn't
work too well in the long run, since we're using the automounter for
quite a lot of NFS mounts as well).

IMHO, the real solution would be to have vold finally fixed -- maybe
someone from Sun interested in this issue is reading this list? (Hint! ;-)

Sorry for this slightly off-topic mail.

cheers,
	Torsten

--