[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1 Memory Usage

LeBar, Russell kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Tue Mar 11 21:08:05 2003

I'd like to switch our Sun Ray/MetaFrame for UNIX users over to KDE 3.1
(currently running KDE 1.1.2) but I'm concerned about memory usage. Does
anyone know if the RSS and VSZ columns reported from a `ps -ea -o
s,user,pid,ppid,pri,nice,pcpu,pmem,stime,time,vsz,rss,args` take into
account dynamic linking? In other words, if I used the RSS column to add up
total memory for a user would I be counting the memory used by .so files
several times or would I get an accurate count? Right now it looks like I am
using over 300 MB just after logging in. Ouch!

Russ LeBar
Enterprise Rent-A-Car  Phone:314-512-3355
Network Management System Administration  Fax:314-512-6002
UNIX System Administrator  Pager:314-841-7565