[kde-solaris] Why is OpenGL required?

Erik Hovland kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Fri Jan 17 18:46:11 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:06:58AM +0100, Denyer, Antony wrote:
> I decided to try and get KDE running on my Ultra 5.  I decided to use
> the rpms from  http://sunrpms.maraudingpirates.org/    however in the
> prep the system part it says to install OpenGL.  This is a problem
> becaus my system doesn't meet the requirements ie I have a standar M64
> graphics card.  Is there any way arround this?  It appears when I try
> and install qt from the rpm it requires some OpenGL libs, can this be
> avoided somehow?

there are opengl drivers for the m64 graphics chip. It is mostly a
software implementation, but it works.

Beyond that most of kde does not need opengl. The screensavers like to
have them, but even they do not require it.

You can always force the package to install, but this is not
recommended.

Erik Hovland
Member of Technical Staff, Interferometer Section - 383
Work Phone:    (818) 354-1994
Mobile Phone:  (818) 667-3284
E-mail:        ehovland@huey.jpl.nasa.gov

I speak for myself not JPL.