[kde-solaris] report from install of kde3.1.4 binaries.

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Wed Dec 17 00:53:40 CET 2003

   O.K.

   Install of the Kde 3.1.4  Binaries for solaris 8
   on  Solaris 8 07/03   Sunblade 1500

   Added the two required Opengl patches.

   New system  no KDE ever installed on this box before.

   Ran pkgadd of all packages.   No error msgs.
   	two or three reports  about some file already installed.
         lnusertemp file amongst them.

   Added /opt/kde-3.1.4/bin    to the user path in  /etc/default/login

   Added the entries to /etc/inet/inetd.conf , /etc/services and /etc/pam.conf
   according to the installguide.

   Fixed all the Locale ENV Variables in /etc/profile.

   Installed /usr/local/etc/fam.conf

   log out

   Set DT session to KDE-314

   Kde complains that  /tmp/mcop-username    is  not owned  by user,
   It is in fact owned by root.
   I assume this is a bug, since  this is the first time ever any KDE
   login has been performed on this machine.

   I fix this by hand  so /tmp/mcop-username is owned by user.

    Logout - login

    I now hear the logon chimes.

    the $HOME/.kde/share/config/kcmartsrc  is not created automatically.
    Maybe I am supposed to start some program to get it created ???

    The advice in the Install-instructions about which device symlinks to create
    is not correct for the SB1500 as the DVD is
     /pci at 1e,600000/ide at d/sd at 2,0"

    the sound devies are also different.
    the Devices to link to will probably vary wildely depending on the
    actual machine type.

    I have tested a few apps and they seem to run as expected.
    Euphoria  OpenGL  Xscreensaver works

    Well time to go to bed, time is  00:44 here.

    All I need now is to recompile the lot for UltraSparc III   :-)))))

    Very nice work.  Thank you Stefan.