[kde-solaris] Relocation errors using Stefan's 3.1.1 packages

tim at asset-control.com tim at asset-control.com
Tue Apr 29 17:11:35 CEST 2003

Hello,
I have installed the KDE 3.1.1 packages kindly provided by Stefan Teleman
for Solaris 8.
They solve a problem I was experiencing with a previous set of pre-built
KDE 3.1 packages:
the inability to set a wallpaper, or rather have it displayed.
However I do have a few new minor problems now, both did not occur in my
previous 3.1 setup:
1) arts and knotify do not work, the following message is produced in the
trace file:

ld.so.1: kdeinit: fatal: relocation error: file
/data/kde3/lib/libmcop.so.1: symbol
__1cDstdMbasic_string4Ccn0ALchar_traits4Cc__n0AJallocator4Cc___M__sun_concat6kMpkc_1_:
referenced symbol not found
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-19129' to 'knotify'
DCOP: unregister 'knotify'
ERROR: Communication problem with knotify, it probably crashed.

kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'artswrapper' from launcher.
library=artswrapper.la: No file names artswrapper.la found in paths.
ld.so.1: /opt/kde3/bin/artsd: fatal: relocation error: file
/opt/kde3/lib/libmcop.so.1: symbol
__1cDstdMbasic_string4Ccn0ALchar_traits4Cc__n0AJallocator4Cc___M__sun_concat6kMrk1_1_:
referenced symbol not found
Could not load library! Trying exec....
kio (KLauncher): artswrapper (pid 22247) up and running.
kdeinit: PID 22247 terminated.

any clues?
I have Forte Developer 6 Update 2 installed on my system.

2) The menu fonts in Forte Workshop apps and xemacs are ridiculously
large, also xemacs crashes when using 'Edit Faces...'.
I suspect that this is a problem with the font setup, do I have to add
fontpath's from /usr/openwin to the X server?

n.b. the KDE stuff is installed in /data/kde3 but there is a symbolic link
to it from /opt/kde3

regards,
Tim Knigge