[kde-solaris] Problems running kde 3.1.1 on Solaris 9

Philip Jackson Philip.Jackson at sunderland.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 18:19:35 CEST 2003

Dear All,

I have managed to compile everything up to and including  kde base 3.1.1
(that is qt 3.1.1, kdelibs3.1.1 and kdebase 3.1.1). After much tweaking
and related package installs, I managed to get these to compile and
install. The kde desktop now runs but produces rather a lot of 'ERROR 3:
couldn't create slave: Unable to create io-slave' errors. It also
complains about Unknown protocol 'file' (or 'ftp' or 'http' depending on
what is attempting to run).

I presume something is missing or I have compiled it incorrectly.
Everything else works with regard to the desktop etc but these error
occur when running the help system, konqueror and other applications.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Philip Jackson.
University Of Sunderland.