[kde-solaris] pkgs gone to??

David F. Newman kde-solaris@mail.kde.org
Mon Dec 23 17:06:00 2002

On Sunday 22 December 2002 07:32, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > Well, after reading "the whole" thread it sounds like there are
> > productionplatforms for kde 3.1 for sparc solaris 7,8,9 -:)
>
> Actually the platforms are binary compatible, so I wonder, if we really
> need to duplicate the work.

That's what Sun says.  I find that it is usually safer to rebuild
the package for each platform.

I was going to start distributing binary packages of KDE when
3.1 came out, but it got delayed, so I decided to start with
KDE 3.0.5.  It ain't pretty but there are binary packages for
Solaris 2.6, 7, 8, and 9 sparc as well as Solaris 8 on x86
at http://sunrpms.maraudingpirates.org/

The instructions are basically
1) Do some prelim stuff on your system.
* Make sure Sun's OpenGL is installed.  It is available from Sun's web site.
* Also make sure you have a /dev/random.  On non-Solaris9 systems
I find that ANDIrand is good.  I make it available in the "pkgs"
directories.
* Increase semaphores and shared memory.  This is what I
append to my /etc/system:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10

set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

2) Download and install rpm.
On the front page is a link to a solaris package of RPM for each platform.
Download this file use pkgadd to install this package.
i.e.
# pkgadd -d rpm-4.0.4-sparc-sol9.pkg
this installs rpm under /opt/rpm

3) Download and install the RPMs that you want.
The core packages for KDE are
qt, arts, kdelibs, kdebase, kdeaddons, kdeartwork, kdegames,
kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, kdepim, kdetoys & kdeutils.

# /opt/rpm/bin/rpm -ivh *.rpm

* KDE 3.0.5 requires qt-3.0.6.  qt-3.1 is there in preparation for KDE 3.1.
* The core packages require other packages, however, I'm not sure off
the top of my head what those dependencies are.  Your options are to
download all the packages and install them, or just download what you
want and have rpm tell you what you are missing.

4) Configure dtlogin for use with KDE.
Included with the kdebase package is a script that helps configure
dtlogin.  /usr/local/kde3.0/bin/kde-setup-dtlogin will copy the necessary
files to /etc/dt.

The reason this doesn't happen when the RPM is installed is because
I assume that /usr/local might be NFS exported.  This script is then
intended to be run on every NFS client that wishes to use KDE.

*** Extra stuff
* I intend to put some kind of mechanism on the web page for reporting
bugs with the packages, but for now one can email me directly.
* Solaris 9 is currently the only platform with a Solaris package of
RPM 4.0.  The other platforms have solaris packages of RPM 3.0.
All the platforms have rpms of rpm4.0.  If you use RPM 3 to install
rpm 4 you just need to rebuild the rpm database afterwards.  This
can be done by running "/usr/local/bin/rpm --rebuild".  I _will_ fix
this.  Just be warned.

- -Dave

p.s. I just saw that KDE 3.0.5a came out.  I will rebuild the packages.