Hello GSoC students - Akademy 2019 is coming

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed May 15 03:51:35 BST 2019

See https://akademy.kde.org/2019 and talk to your mentors. Ask them how to
submit a talk idea, how to ask for travel support, and why you should come
to Akademy!

Also, you can band together with some of your fellow students and give a
talk together, as a panel, or get a "BoF" together. BoF is short for "birds
of a feather" and it is a gathering in a smaller room to do anything from a
talk, panel or even a workshop on a particular project or other common
focus. We often have a GSoC/GCi/SoK Bof during Akademy week, and will have
a time for all students who are sponsored to tell everyone about your
project. Those are usually very short talks, 3-5 minutes, depending on the
timeframe we have available and how many students want to talk.

If you ask for sponsorship money, we do expect you to stay around during
the week. In the past we've had students leave to do various touristy
things around the city, and that's really not fair. The KDE e.V. has only a
certain amount of money to put towards travel sponsorship, so please use it
to make KDE an even better project.

Another thought -- think big! If you are part of a strong student
community, consider putting in a proposal to host Akademy in your city next
year or the one after. Of course KDE has an awesome Akademy team, but they
rely on local volunteers for a lot of the local work.

Valorie

PS: If you are having any trouble getting your blogs to appear on the
planet or getting your git config set up correctly, please ask for help! Do
not suffer in silence!