[GSoC 2019] KWin Clipboard Management Project

CALVIN SANTIAGO LEE calvins.lee at utah.edu
Sun Mar 17 23:44:50 GMT 2019

Hello,

I am a student, and I would like to look into working with KDE for the
Google Summer of Code 2019.
I am interested specifically in KDE because I have used it for several
years, and believe that my experience may be useful to the project.

I have worked on open source projects for almost four years. A large
amount of this time was spent working on the sway[0] window manager and
Wayland compositor.
While working on sway, I developed an interest in Wayland and furthering
the Wayland ecosystem as these were a large interest of the project.

After I stopped regularly contributing to the project, they developed
the protocol mentioned in the "Clipboard Management Wayland protocol"
GSoC project[1] which is why it interests me.

I have not contributed code to KDE projects before, but I have been
present in the community to some extent. While I was working on a
feature for sway, I subscribed to and sent several emails to the
mailing lists (this was under my former email, cyrus296 at gmail.com).

Furthermore, I am familiar with mailing list oriented projects. I have a
commit in QEMU, which required me to learn how to communicate well and
send patches over email.

However, I know that this may not be acceptable, as I have read that a
GSoC proposal to KDE must contain several patches to KDE projects.

If this is not the case, please feel free to reach out to me, either
through email or IRC (I am "pounce" on freenode) about this project or
others. I would love to work with KDE for the summer, and would be
willing to answer questions or research things to make this happen.

Finally, as a side note. I am not quite sure whom to contact for this
project, as there are two mentors listed (Roman Gilg and Nicolas Fella),
but I cannot find their emails.
Instead I am just sending an email to the lists. Please let me know if
this is inappropriate.

Thank you,
Calvin Lee

[0]: https://swaywm.org/