GSoC: What to do now?

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:15:21 UTC 2018

Hi Natalie! Thanks so much for asking.

Google Summer of Code, as you say, is a program for university
students around the world. Free and Open Source organizations around
the world apply for a chance to work with the students and KDE is one
of the few who has participated since the beginning of the program.

KDE has always welcomed everyone and all the wonderful code we share
with the world has been designed, built and distributed by a
world-wide community. Some have contributed a single patch, while
others have been working for over 25 years in a variety of jobs - some
paid, but most unpaid, volunteer positions.

I'm not a coder, but I've been contributing to KDE for over 10 years
now. There is no application; you just see that something needs doing,
and start doing it! For most people, that is fixing bugs. I'm not a
coder, but I thought that Amarok user documentation needed updating,
so I volunteered to do that and we ended up with
https://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual.

I ended up helping to administer the GSoC program for KDE because I
offered to help the previous admin. I keep doing it because people ask
wonderful questions like you just did. :-)

There is no need for apology. You as a confused newcomer have a super
power, although you haven't realized that. That super power is the
fact that you are confused and a newcomer! You can help us by pointing
out what confused you, where you looked for information but didn't
find it, found some but it wasn't helpful, and as you get clued in,
where you continue to find pain points.

If you would like to work with me and some other people fixing stuff
around the KDE community, let's do it! If you are interested in
something else, just ask.

All the best,

Valorie

PS: This offer is open to ANYBODY. Any time, anywhere around KDE. I
know some people around KDE and I'll hook you up!

--
http://about.me/valoriez