GSoC2018 - Panel Improvement Proposal Idea

Furkan Tokaç furkantokac34 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:11:41 UTC 2018

Hi KDE Devs,

For GSoC2018, as a long-term KDE user/lover, I want to make 2 important
improvements on KDE / Plasma-Workspace / Panel that will increase user
experience. By this mail, I'll just talk about the improvements without
any technical details. In the proposal, I'll tell about my plan to solve
the issues.

--------------> *Basic Information*
I always use KDE by placing the panel left and enabling auto-hide option
and as far as I see on the Internet, there are many people like me. I am
using KDE for a long time so I know some weak parts about the panel.*
*

*Note* : I am using and writing my comments according to X11, I didn't
test the issues on Wayland.

--------------> *Problem 1 : Freezes on unhiding*
When I put my mouse pointer to the left corner to unhide the panel, it
has a short freeze, and sometimes very long freezes. I think that these
freezes are about widget updates because if there is an active event on
the system tray or in the desktop widgets or there is a notification
pop-up, it happens more. This is one of the basic feature and it should
be flawless, I think.

--------------> *Problem 2 : Auto-hide sensitivity*
There is no setting for changing the sensitivity of unhiding event.
There should be a setting to change this sensitivity like in Unity. (in
unity, it is called "Reveal sensitivity")

I tried this issues in another computers and  they are common. After the
discussion, if you think positive about this tasks or one of them, I'll
submit the proposal.

Thanks for your interest!

--
Furkan Tokaç
Computer Engineering Department (4th Year)