GSoC & SoK students: next steps

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 07:56:51 BST 2018

I hope each of you know that the KDE community wants you to stay! Not only
do we want you to support your code, but we want YOU. We need your energy,
creativity and skill to take KDE into the future.

Coming up next is a new round of Season of KDE, although we don't have firm
plans for that yet. Some of you may want to participate as mentees or
mentors.

We've not yet heard whether Google Code-in will be held this year or the
dates, but we're confident that it will happen sometime November through
January of next year.

We would like each of you to be a mentor for the 13 to 18-year-old kids. If
you've not participated in GCi before, here is the "How it works" from the
2017 website: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/how-it-works

If you are interested, please start jotting down ideas for tasks that would
take kids a day or two to finish. These can be coding,
documentation/training, outreach/research, quality assurance, user
interface, Translation tasks are not allowed. If we want to apply (probably
in late September or early October) we will need a large number of tasks
already complete. Please look at some of the sample tasks on the 2017
website for guidance.

Be aware that this contest can run fast and furious. On the other hand, if
we have lots of mentors, we can share the work.

I hope each of you will jump into this now! Get some young minions to tidy
up your code, present your project to others, create some promo material,
and more!

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez