Welcome newly accepted GSoC students, and to those who were not accepted -- we hope you'll stay around

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 23:30:52 UTC 2018

By now, all accepted students are here on the list. If you had already
subscribed, thanks for saving me some work! :-)

We hope by now you are subscribed to your team's list(s) and connected
to all the appropriate communication channels - IRC, RocketChat,
Telegram, Matrix or whatever your team and mentor(s) prefers. Free and
open source software is developed in the open, so please use public
channels at all times. Only privately message for truly private
matters, and never for development questions. Please don't worry about
making a fool out of yourself for asking stupid questions. The only
stupid questions are the ones you were too shy to ask.

That said, please do your research before asking. If nothing else, the
research helps you learn the proper vocabulary to use in posing the
question.

We highly value communication, and poor communication is a reason to
fail you. Please never suffer in silence -- reach out. If you don't
know what or how to ask, please talk to the admins directly:
KDE-Soc-Management at kde.org.

We want you not just for your code contributions. We want YOU as part
of the community. We want your blog on KDE Planet, we want you on
KDE-community ML, we want you in the IRC channels, we want you helping
other students, we want you at Akademy if possible, we want you as
mentors for GCi next fall.

In fact, please plan on that as you work. If you see little tasks that
could make your work even cooler, please make a note to yourself.
Could a 13-18 year-old do these tasks?

Finally, to those of you who were not accepted, please don't leave. If
possible, please pitch in somewhere and find your way around the
community. If you can apply next year for GSoC, of course we'd welcome
that. If not, think about Season of KDE for next fall or winter
(timeline not created yet). And we'd like you for a GCi mentor as
well, if you can create some tasks.

All the best,

Valorie
KDE-Soc-Management at kde.org