Evaluations are all complete!

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 22:34:25 UTC 2017

I can't see your student evaluations, but I've read what your mentors
have said, and most of it is very good.

Key bits -- staying to your timeline, frequent commits, keeping up
your reporting on https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2017/StatusReports,
blogging, the project mail list(s), and other communication.

I want to mention communication in particular. All of you are at least
decent coders, or you would not have been accepted. Some of you are
not yet used to the communication necessary in Free and Open Source
communities, however. Let me stress that this is part of what you are
evaluated on -- not just your code, your tests, your documentation --
but your communication.

Even if your mentor does not want to hear from you daily, your team
needs to hear from you often -- at least twice per week. You can link
your posts on your Status page, by the way, via the list
archives/markmail, etc. In addition, the community needs to hear from
you on the KDE Planet.

Congratulations on finishing the first evaluations successfully. I
know some of you had exams and other challenges which hindered you in
the beginning. However, you can catch up, if you modify your timeline
with the help of your mentor, and spend some extra hours of work this
next month. Don't lag behind, as it is discouraging. Instead, reframe,
and go go go!

As always, discuss social issues here, or privately with
kde-soc-management at kde.org or in #kde-soc/Telegram. Do not suffer in
silence for even an hour! We are here for you.

Valorie, for the KDE GSoC admin team

--
http://about.me/valoriez