Hello students! KDE has been accepted as an org for GSoC 2017

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:46:39 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Shrimadhav U K
<magicteacher95 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 28-Feb-2017 06:07, "Valorie Zimmerman" <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> So. Have all of you already spoken with a prospective mentor? Have you
> already fixed a few bugs, and made a couple of commits? Are you in
> active communication via IRC, Telegram or email list with your chosen
> team?
>
> Could you mention which are the channels?
>

> If not, please ask here on the list for help. Do NOT write to me
> privately -- your fellow students and the mentors here can help. This
> is how we do things in KDE, because we are a community, and we help
> one another out.
>
> Yes, you may be in competition with another student here on the list
> for a slot. How much you help your fellow students weighs strongly in
> your favor when it comes time to choose which students we select to
> work with. I'll be very disappointed to find nobody asking for help,
> or offering advice here.
>
> Let's get working! Together.
>
> Valorie
>
> --
> http://about.me/valoriez
>

> My Name is Shrimadhav U K. I am a final year under graduate student at
> National Institute of Technology, Calicut. Hoping I can be of some help, but
> do not know how to get started.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Yours sincerely
> Shrimadhav U K

Good question, Shrimadhav. First, look over the ideas page [1] and see
what interests you, and maybe excites you. Then, find the team and
mentor on IRC, Telegram *and* the mail list. Mail lists, while
seemingly old-fashioned, are the workhorse communication system for
KDE teams. Subscribe to the list(s) and hang out in the IRC/Telegram
channels as much as possible, listening as well as talking.

And read, read, read. Look through the bug tracker to see where you
might help out, look at the wikis for guidance, read the GSoC student
manual [2], and our KDE developer handbook [3] -- whatever helps you
prepare your proposal.

And continue to ask for help here. Your fellow students can be your
most important teachers sometimes.

Oh, and most important: read and re-read our GSoC page [4]. There is a
LOT packed in there.

Valorie

1. https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2017/Ideas
2. http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/