Proposal to system administration documentation/software in SoK (Kiosk)

Frederico Goncalves Guimaraes frederico at teia.bio.br
Wed Dec 6 10:41:35 UTC 2017

Hi everybody,

I would like to know the viability of a project for SoK. I'm a Brazilian and,
in my city, we use a custom version of Debian in our municipal schools
(approximately 7.500 computers). Our desktop environment is Plasma and we need
to define different default settings for this machines (for example, mouse
double click to open files/directories). And sometimes we need to change some
of these settings too (for example, proxy settings).

On KDE 3 I used Kiosk and loved it. Still used the framework on Plasma 4 and
I'm trying to use it on 5, but sometimes I can't find documentation explaining
what file or parameter I need to alter to achieve my objective. Here enter my
proposal.

I would like to organize the documentation in a central hub, where we could
find information about desktop settings, in a way that we could it to
automatize settings changes. For example, if I want to activate automount of
removable devices, I need to alter parameter X in file Y. This would be even
better if we could recreate Kiosk admin tool. So, I would like to know if this
is a valid proposal.

Is so, I would like to know if I could be a mentor for this project. My area
of expertise is educational use of free software and data organization. I have
some experience in system administration and have a big lab for testings
(those 7.500 machines that I mentioned before).  ;-)  My programming skills
are restrict to some scripts in Perl and Bash. But I have a good experience in
programming logic. So, I couldn't help with coding, but could analyze and
evaluate produced softwares. Is this enough?

If this is really a viable project (and if I have the requisites to be a
mentor), what do I need to do next?

Best regards,

Frederico
--
Linux User #228171
Sítio pessoal: http://teia.bio.br

"Liberdade, essa palavra que o sonho humano alimenta, que não há ninguém que
explique e ninguém que não entenda." (Cecília Meireles)