KDE-Soc Telegram group

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 06:40:31 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 11 March 2016 09:44:01 Alexander Semke wrote:
>> Nicolás, Valorie, thank you for your answers.
>>
>> > As far as I know there is nothing open about Slack.
>> >
>> > The Telegram protocol is public, every official Telegram client is free
>> > software, there are no features limited to paying users...
>> > [...]
>> If I understand it correctly, there is nothing open about the server
>> implemenation and infrastructure. So, I'm not sure how much the openness on
>> the client side help here.
>>
>> I also found this older article
>> http://unhandledexpression.com/2013/12/17/telegram-stand-back-we-know-maths/
>> which I found quite interesting, especially the longer discussion in the
>> comments between the author of the article and some guy from Telegram.
>
> Thats exactly what I wanted to point out. Like Schneier's Law:
>
> "any person can invent a security system so clever that she or he can't
> think of how to break it."
>
> So be careful about home-made security encryption in software like
> Telegram. It does not mean that it is secure...
>
> --
> Pali Rohár
> pali.rohar at gmail.com

I don't think it is secure, and I wouldn't like to use it where
security is important, for sure. I consider Telegram to be secondary
to IRC and mail lists as major communication channels. However, I want
us to reach out to new developers, possible developers and interested
users who don't know about our lists, don't know about IRC or who
can't use it because it is blocked for them. We need to meet people
where they are, and that seems to Telegram for now.

Valorie