Season of KDE 2015: Proposal

Priya Satbhaya priyasatbhaya64 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:19:05 UTC 2015

*
Robust plugin infrastructure for KFileMetaData*

                                              - Priya Satbhaya

*Abstract*: *Metadata* is a set of data that describes and gives
information about other data. *KFileMetaData* is a *library* used for
extracting text and metadata from a number of different files. And *Baloo* is
a *framework* which use *semantic search* for file searching, indexing and
managing metadata.

Name: Priya Satbhaya
Email Address: priyasatbhaya64 at gmail.com
Freenode IRC Nick: pri
IM Service and Username: freenode:pri
Location: Durgapur, India, UTC+5:30

*Proposal Title*: Robust plugin infrastructure for KFileMetaData

*Motivation for Proposal / Goal:*
The main motivation for this proposal came from Baloo. As  'Baloo' is a
 file indexing and file search framework  which replaced Nepomuk. Yes it is
better than Nepomuk in many ways but the main concern with Baloo is it
slows down the system, so i feel if i can contribute towards its search
optimisation.

*Targets:*

1. Baloo eats up 100% CPU time, so increase the optimisation.
2.In *Krunner*,increase the number of search results to be displayed.
3.In Baloo extend the indexing for *removable media* also.
4.Create a more user-friendly and interactive user interface.

*Details:*

*1.Semantic search optimisation of Baloo:*
It indexes files in batches of about 40, it has to find the problematic
file by indexing that bunch in parts: first half/second half, index
problematic half in pieces again, until the file is found. This can take up
to 30 minutes of heavy CPU usage. Unfortunately, while Baloo will not start
to index a new batch of 40 files while on battery power, it continues to
determine the broken file while on battery. This behavior has been fixed in
in KDE Applications 4.13.1 (it will stop indexing immediately when the
power cord is unplugged) and the time the search for each file can take has
been reduced to about 10 minutes.
       We can improve it further for larger and difficult files by changing
the entire search process and proposing different graph models.

Baloo search is integrated in* KRunner* and *Dolphin*.

*2. Krunner number of results displayed:*
The number or results are limited. There is no paging support for results:
runner plugins simply return their whole data set and we simply hope that
they don’t return too many. In fact, the current Krunner UI just drops
everything after the first 50 (this because of QGraphicsView and no model).
But if we implement Krunner with Nepomuk search results will be more
specific by assigning a global shortcut to it.

*3.Improve the API*
        So that we can not only query plugins but additional information
about them as well.

*Other obligations from December to February *

The winter vacation for students in my college will be starting from the
4th of December. So I would be able to give all of my time on coding for
this project, from after that date. And since I will be staying at home the
entire time and have got neither any travelling plans nor any other
endeavors for the winter, so I will be able to give more than 40 hours of
my time per week for SoK. However my next semester will be starting from
the 1st of January 2016. But still, I'm confident that even then I will be
able to devote 5-7 hours of my time for the project daily ( 5 hours on
weekdays from 7pm to 12:30 am with a half-an-hour dinner-break, 8 hours on
Saturdays, and 7 hours on Sundays). Hence I can confidently say that I can
put in all of my time from December to February for SoK in this winter.

*About Me:*
I am an engineering student, currently studying in the 2rd year in the
*National
Institute of Technology, Durgapur*, India pursuing a B.Tech in Information
Technology. I have been enthusiastic about FOSS ever since. I was
introduced to open source when I came to know about the free annual online
training program by Kushal Das which happens in the #dgplug channel on IRC
every summer. I am an active preacher of open source in my college, and
take part in almost every event related to FOSS in general.I hope to always
keep contributing to this wonderful virtual globe I will love to use along
with the other KDE softwares, in the years to come.

*My Work Experience:*
1. I am working on a project in semantic web, titled "*New graph model for
optimised query processing in semantic web environment*" under Prof.
Animesh Dutta and Prof.Biswanath Dutta along with PhD scholars in our
college.

2. I have completed virtual training course on "*Ethical Hacking*" in
Internshala.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92Bd31UZMqLNGpRdUo1Y2VIcE0/view?usp=sharing

3. This summer i have attended a month long training program at "Microsoft
Technology Associate" for the course of "*Core Java*" and i also made a
project "Exam Suite" on netbeans platform under Rajan Chetri.There i have
also cleared "Database Fundamentals" exam under "Microsoft Certification".
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92Bd31UZMqLSkxXS3B2RUViQmM/view?usp=sharing