GSOC 2015

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 06:41:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Garvit Khatri <garvitdelhi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thank you for selecting me as this year's gsoc student. According to the
> timeline, Community Bonding Period has started and I would like to know how
> should I proceed with my project during this period.
>
> I have prepared my working environment & built the project labplot on my
> computer. I am also updating my server side repository with labplot's
> repository so that everything is updated.
>
> Thank You

Hi Garvit, congratulations. If you've not seen the student handbook
yet, it might be a good time to read it (or review it):
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/

There is a set of chapters about the community bonding phase that
start here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/ch011_how-gsoc-works/

>From the admin point of view, I'd say that the most important thing
during this community bonding phase is just that -- bonding with your
community. So ensure you are subscribed to all the necessary lists,
that your developer account is up and working and that your keys work,
that you learn how to use/search bugzilla, that you join and hang out
in the necessary IRC channels if at all possible, that you get to know
all members of the team who will be helping you out.

KDE is a community, and we work in teams. Get to know your team, and
how it fits into the larger community. Plus there are teams such as
documentation, sysadmin, and translation/internationalization who help
all the other teams in one way or another.

Plus, please be sure that your blog is added to the planet (hint: see
"add your blog") and that you get in the habit of blogging frequently.
The whole community wants to know about your progress, and help you
out if necessary.

Finally, bond most closely with your mentor(s). Learn multiple ways of
staying in touch, get in the habit of telling them your plans in
advance, tell them when you are having trouble finding resources and
learn how to dialog with them so you can think together over tough
bits of your project. Of course there will be some hard parts; that is
part of the challenge of meeting your goal.

Finally, remember to have fun!

Valorie

PS: don't forget #kde-soc for general questions and general chat with
your fellow students and some of the mentors and admins

--
http://about.me/valoriez