Fwd: [GSOC 2014] project : Improve sharing experience

Aaron Zakhrov aaron.zakhrov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 10:35:20 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aaron Zakhrov <aaron.zakhrov at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2014] project : Improve sharing experience
To: Àlex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org>

hey sorry for the delay in responding. I was doing some research (googling
mostly) on UPnP and have hit a bit of a snag.
There is no native Qt library for creating UPnP clients and devices. The
available options I found are libupnp, gupnp and qupnp.
qupnp is basically a Qt implementation of gupnp but is still at version 0.1
and has a bunch of bugs (it does not build on my system). Also the
documentation is basically nonexistent. Gupnp has excellent documentation
but is based on gtk and uses gObject. So not really compatible with what we
need. libupnp seems to be stable but again the documentation does not
provide any examples to try out :-(

How do we go about submitting a proposal to GSOC? According to the website
registration for students begins on the 10th (2 days from this email). Do I
have to submit a proposal to KDE before I try to register or do I submit it
at registration itself? And what exactly should be in the proposal? I am a
complete noob at this so any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Aaron